|Rialto Bridge in Venice, Italy|
|Colosseum in Rome, Italy|
|Trevi Fountain in Rome, Italy|
|Florence, Italy near a street market|
|Eiffel Tower in Paris, France|
|Geiser in Geneva, Switzerland|
|Harry Potter poster (obviously) in Barcelona, Spain. I was excited.|
|Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain|
|Government Building (I think?) in Madrid, Spain|
|River Thames in London, England|
|Inspiration for Diagon Alley in London|
|Family Friends! At the cathedral in Canterbury, England|
|A telephone booth...in London, of course|
|Seeing Wicked in London, England|
|The entrance to the Louvre in Paris, France|
Ok...so I'm sorry for the crazy photo dump, but I couldn't resist. One year ago, Marc and I were backpacking around Europe. And I can't help but reminisce!
Where did we go, you ask? I think a better question is probably 'where didn't we go?!'
We left two days after our college graduation, and we were gone for five weeks. We went to Paris, Strasbourg, Annecy, Geneva, Venice, Florence, Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, Canterbury, and London. I think that's everywhere. The train was our best friend...and occasionally our worst nightmare on our trip.
Planning this trip was quite an experience as neither of us had actually ever planned a big trip on our own. And there were so many details! But it was an amazing ride and I'm so grateful we did it before entering the 'real world'.
I think my favorite cities were probably Rome, Barcelona, and London. All of them were pretty amazing though.
- Climbing all the way up the Arc de Triumph...such an amazing view!
- Spending an evening at an outdoor music festival in Strasbourg
- Eating chocolate in Geneva
- Eating gelato (or sorbet) Every. Single. Day. You think I'm kidding...I'm not.
- Getting lost in Venice
- Pretty much everything in Rome....but especially the Rick Steves night walk
- Seeing David in Florence
- La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona...seriously amazing!!
- Eating tapas in Madrid
- Seeing Harry Potter at the Odeon (theater it premiered at) in London the day it opened. Dream come true...I'm a huge nerd.
- Harry Potter walking tour in London...in the rain.
- Wandering around London in general
- And seeing Wicked!...in London
- Exploring Canterbury and having tea with my parents' older friends
I'm sure I am missing SO many things, but if I go on, this list could get ridiculous.
- Rain. In almost every city. For at least half of our trip.
- Traveling every few days
- Sketchy hotels way outside of major cities
Have you gone backpacking in Europe? I'd love to hear your stories!!